Gold Reef City
From USD 105
ZAR 1,382.21 (approximately, depending on exchange rate at time of booking)
- 5 hours
- In season (Gauteng school holidays) – Monday to Sunday. Out of season – Wednesday to Sunday. Closed on Christmas Day.
- PICK-UP TIME:
- Any time between 8:00am and 1:00pm. The guided tours at Gold Reef City commence every hour on the hour from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
- Not included.
- ENTRANCE FEES:
*Please note that this is subject to availability. Prices are subject to change without prior notice. Terms and conditions apply*
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION – FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR GUESTS, ANYONE WHO FALLS INTO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES MAY NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE UNDERGROUND MINE PORTION OF THE TOUR:
* children under 6 years of age;
* pregnant women; asthma sufferers; the visually impaired;
* visitors with claustrophobia, high or low blood pressure, any walking defects such as an artificial foot or leg, people who recently had major surgery or anyone who has
had heart bypass surgery;
* visitors may not be barefoot when doing the tour, shoes must be worn at all times.
The name Johannesburg is synonymous with South Africa’s gold-mining industry, after all, this is the city that was founded way back in 1886 as a miner’s village on the Witwatersrand goldfields. Today, the Gold Reef City theme park and museum – built around the original No.14 shaft of Crown Mines – recreates the city of Johannesburg as it was during the early days of the gold rush.
On arrival you will meet your guide, who will conduct your tour through the complex. You’ll delight in the myths and magic of gold, the glimpse into the lifestyle of those early pioneers, the excitement of traveling below the surface to see first-hand how precious gold is extracted from the earth. Watch the liquid yellow metal being poured into ingots. Enjoy the remarkable recreation of Victorian Johannesburg and the legendary characters that featured in the world’s greatest gold discovery. A stunning experience, not to be forgotten!